Monday, May 11, 2009

Work smart or work hard?

After working in my new company for 9 months, I've started questioning myself. For the past 3 years of working experience back in KL, what did I learn? Seems like I just know how to work hard, but not work smart. Having the chance to work in a social-complicated environment, I only realised I'm too ignorant and too straight.

Soft skills - the topic we always talk about before anyone of us graduating from colleages/uni. Somehow, I didn't manage to get some programmed into my brain. My mind functions just as simple as procedural programming. Haha.. Not the future hope - Artificial Intelligence.

Maybe my previous job had the most wonderful, the kindest people. No tricks, no finger-pointing, no irresponsible...

So, which one is better? Working hard or working smart?

This is really an eye opening to me. Working hard doesn't mean your boss will know and will appreciate what you did. No guarantee of good career prospect. But, working smart is totally different. You can contribute the minimum effort into one thing and get the biggest rewards from the sake of it. An early 30s project manager can be promoted to the position of SVP by handling a 3-year $2Million project that is never being delivered. This is called smart.

I guess, spending 9 mths - 1 year of precious time in learning such soft skills is considered worthy. Though I know I'm not the kinda person who likes to play dirty tricks in a professional working life, sometimes, I'm forced to learn and imply. The real work is cruel, which it's a place where you turn yourself into street smart.

If so, why do I study so hard for flying colors? See? Study smart still is the stupiest way to make achievements in your life, unless you're a nerd researcher / scientist.

Don't you agree?

3 comments:

rabbit said...

it's too much of politics & complications at work place.
really need lot of soft skills...n many layer of masks to put on our face.

u r smart gal...u know wat's best for urself.
add oil lar.....:)

Anonymous said...

hehehe...
i think my previous 2 yrs, even though hv quite nice environment n office social, but as well to train me some sort of soft skills...
current working env might not as challenge as u r facing now.. haha.. still doing some programmers job,which more simple than deal with those complicated social n ppl...
anyway, past 2 yrs i am work hard more than enuf.. current job is so comfort until sometimes i feel guity, but anyway still can receive positive comments from boss (weird...) can it consider as work smart? hahahhaa

merenda-la-crochet said...

masks... fake smiles... finger-pointing...

anyway, i just take these as daily drama and i'm one of the charaters. So no need to take those bad things too hard. Days are still as beautiful as they are. Just your own feelings change the way you see the world. =)

Gambate to all of us~~